Thursday, September 24, 2009

We raced at the Abe Lincoln Memorial Street Stock and Hobby Stock Nationals

With all points races at the local level having been decided, it’s time for end of year racing specials. On Saturday, September 19th, Jeremy and I pulled the cars to Columbus, Nebraska’s U.S. 30 Speedway for the Abe Lincoln Memorial Street Stock and Hobby Stock Nationals. This was the first time I’d ever driven at this track, even though it was the 2nd time I had a car there. When Tyler Phelps was driving my Jet Phantom in 2006, we came to this race. It was an entirely different track last night as it was a dry slick by the time our heat races came onto the track.




I felt that the track kind of owed us something as in 2006, Tyler didn’t make the invert in his heat race. He started at the back of a consi race and had raced his way into the back of the A Feature when a trailing arm broke, ending our night. I was hoping we would fare better.


If I’d been racing in the ‘60’s, U.S. 30 is the image of what the race tracks back then must have looked like. I have already made myself a note to bring lights to hook up to the generator next time we come so we have some lights to work by. We did get a concrete pad, but didn’t have a broom to push all the dirt off the concrete. Most of the cars in the street stock class were guys whose names I’d seen in the results section of dirt drivers.com. Besides Jeremy, I’d only raced against the 55 of Ron Veleba and the 46 of Jason Van Winkle. Oh, yes, I’d been lapped by the 1 of Shawn Primrose in the opener at McCool Junction this spring. L


The grandstands are a concrete affair that more than likely require some type of cushion for comfort. The lighting on the track is sufficient, but not what Beatrice Speedway or Junction Motor Speedway is like. The track itself is surrounded by railroad ties buried in the ground and protected by a guard rail. The front straightaway is a solid concrete wall. In the corners, the track levels off at the top for about a car width.


The track itself reminds me somewhat of the track at the State Fair Park. I seemed to be on the brake as much as I was on the throttle. I’ve heard it said the track is a 3/8 mile, but I’m sure the chutes aren’t as long as at Beatrice.


Jeremy drew 16, which put him on the inside of the 2nd row in his heat. I drew 26, putting me on the outside of the 2nd row in the 1st heat. We got a few hot laps and at the end, I looped my car going into turn 1. Jeremy said his engine was cutting out bad at 5,000 RPM. A carburetor change took care of that problem, even though we were afraid we’d be lacking in that department since all we had was a smaller carb. As it turned out, it may have helped instead of hurt him due to the dry slick track.


I was still trying to get a feel for the car as I only had a few laps in it at McCool Junction a couple of weeks before this. Shawn Primrose started on the outside pole, and the car alongside me was a past winner at U.S. 30. The track was already dry slock as our heat race pulled onto the track, and I was wishing I was on the inside row instead of the outside. One slow lap around the track and as we came through 3 and into 4, the green flag was flying. It’s race time!! Power down the front chute and into 1, out of 2 and into the back chute. Into 3 and I’m in about 5th or 6th place, but I’ve been able to move to the inside where I wanted to be. Most of the rest of the cars are running a higher line, but it looks like in the corners they’re having a handling problem. I can work my brakes a little and it helps my car turn.


Into 3 on the 2nd lap and the car in front of me makes a lazy spin across the nose of my car. I’m able to let off and go around him on the top, but there is a yellow thrown for him, putting him to the back. On the re-start I’m in 4th, with the top 3 going to the A Feature and all other cars going to a consi.


On the green, the cars ahead of me once again take a higher line. The track is already slick and being this is just my 1st time in this car on a track like this, I want to stay on the bottom. I’m able to close on the 3rd place car, and keep watching for him to make a mistake. Another lap or so, and I’m able to get under him in the corner, but he pulls ahead a little on the chute. One more lap and I drive by in the corner and set sail on the 2nd place car. Into 3 and he goes a little high and again, I’m able to make the pass. The leader is in sight and I wonder if I can catch him. However, all I want to do is concentrate on holding my line and not making any mistakes. The white flag is out and I still don’t have any challenges from behind, and I’m closing the gap on the leader. I’m in the Feature, so let’s not make any mistakes - concentrate, concentrate on what I’m doing and not on what the leader is doing. Into 3 and out of 4 and the checkers are out. I’ve finished 2nd and made the A Feature!! J


Jeremy is in the 2nd heat so I want to get back to the pits and out of the car so I can watch him. He’s waiting in line as I go in and I hold up two fingers as I go by to let him know I’d finished 2nd. With all the competition, I feel like I’d WON!!


I get to our pit area as fast as I can and get unbuckled and back to the stands so I can watch Jeremy. He does a good job of keeping the car on the bottom and is keeping up with everybody. Then he gets in a bit high going into 3 and almost spins the car. He loses a lot of ground with that slip and can’t get it back. At the end, he has a 6th place finish. When the line-ups come out, he’s on the inside of the 3rd row in his consi.


I’m wanting to be sure the carburetor worked, and Jeremy said it was fine. Except for the near spin, I thought the car looked good. With the track being so dry slick, I don’t think the smaller carb hurt him at all.


We don’t have a lot of extra time to get Jeremy’s 6x fueled and the tires checked before it’s time to start getting lined up for his consi. There are 9 cars in his consi; three will fall in at the back of the A Feature. All the rest will load up and watch the A Feature from the grandstands.


The consi is lined up and as the lead cars are in the middle of 3 & 4, the green is out and they’re racing! However, a car behind Jeremy gets into his left rear and spins him to the infield, bringing out a yellow. The driver that got into Jeremy gets stopped by an official in 4 and is apparently spoken to. Jeremy gets his spot back and once the field is lined back up, the green is flying again and they’re racing! This time, it’s a clean start. Jeremy is able to hold his line and looks pretty good once again. He’s able to move up to 4th and needs one more spot to advance to the back of the A Feature. He’s closing the gap on the 3rd place gap when, going into 1, the 3rd place car spins in front of Jeremy. Jeremy is on the brake and gets stopped as he lightly hits the car that spun. However, the car behind Jeremy hit’s the 6x in the left front suspension, breaking the tie rod and ending Jeremy’s night.


The re-draw for all A Features takes place after the GOTRA Trophy Dash in front of the flagstand. I’d never seen it done like this before, but it’s different and I like it. The 12 drivers who are in the A Feature pick out a Frisbee that is in a line of 12 Frisbees. Each one has a number from 1 to 12 on the side that’s facing down. The drivers are called in the order they finished their qualifiers in, and they pick a Frisbee. The number on the Frisbee is your starting position. After finding out your starting position, you sign the Frisbee and toss it into the grandstands for some lucky fan. I find 10 on mine, putting me in the outside of the 5th row.


Last minute checks are made and the fuel cell is topped off. I hope everything goes OK. I’ll go watch the hobby stock A Feature and see what the track is doing. After watching a few laps, it looks like the best place to be isw still on the bottom. I go back to the pits and get strapped into the car. I’d much rather be on the inside row or at the very back of the pack. I’m nervous already.


Time to start lining up. Turn the ignition switch on and hit the starter button and all I can hear is the starter spinning but the drive is not engaging! Jeremy gets some help and pushes me out of the stall, then gets a push so the car will start. Out onto the track and time to get in place for the parade lap. We go 4 rows of 4 wide as the officials wave checkered flags between us as we go past, then drop back into our 2 wide formation to get our start. One more lap and we’re two by two - into 3 and the green is out. We’re racing!! However, before a lap is completed, the yellow is out andx it’s a complete re-start. Once again, we’re lined up and go green - something happens behind me and there’s another yellow. Once again, we’re lined back up for a complete re-start. We’re green again . Out of 2 and down the back chute - into 3 and in the middle of the turn, 5 cars are spinning ahead of me. I somehow miss the mess, but there’s a red flag as it looks like it will be a while before it’s cleaned up. We’re all directed to the infield and crews are allowed to come out and work on the cars.


The track is finally cleared and we’re lined up again. One of the cars involved is towed off, moving me to the inside of the 5th row. I’m still wishing I was at the very back so I wouldn’t be in the middle of the sandwich if something happens. At least now I’m on the inside row…..


Into 3 and the green is waving in the middle of the turn. On the gas, I’m on the inside where I want to be and feel a bit more comfortable. Into 1 and a car behind me gets inot my back bumper. I can feel it start to come around and try to save it, but the track is too slick and I’m going around. As I do, I’m hit by other cars going by me. I come to a stop in the middle of 1 & 2.


The safety crew is at the car immediately. One guy is over to check on me and another is checking on the other car that is stopped. Once they know I’m OK, they check the damage on my car. I’m told I have a flat left front tire and the nose piece is half torn off. He says they can pull me into the pits where I can get the tire changed and get back onto the track.


The wrecker gets me to the trailer and keeps me off the ground so Jeremy can get the tire changed. The nose piece is only hanging on by one side, so they pull it off. The wrecker lets me down and goes around behind me to push start me. I get going and pull up to the track - there’s a yellow out, so I’m able to pull onto the track. I fall in behind the pack and when we’re lined up, the green waves. I notice the lap counter - I only lost 3 laps. The car handles fairly decently and even though I’m down 3 laps, I pass several cars. At one time, it seems like the engine may be smoking, but I can’t tell if it’s my engine or somebody else’s. I keep an eye on the oil pressure and water temperature and all seems OK. The white flag is finally out and in another lap, it’s checkered flags. When all is sorted out, I finish 16th in my first U.S. 30 Speedway Abe Lincoln Memorial Street Stock Nationals.


In checking the total damage later, I find both the upper and lower control arms and tie rod ends on the right side of the car are bent. I’m hoping that the car handles as well when everything is back in place the way it’s supposed to be.


Next race for R & R Racing - Octoberfest 2009. We hope to have both cars at Beatrice Speedway on Saturday October 10th for the stock car portion of the show. We’ll close out the season on October 17th & 18th at the Cool McCool 100 at Junction Motor Speedway in McCool Junction.


No comments:

Post a Comment