Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Last Nebraska State Fair in Lincoln

After a more than 100 year run in Lincoln, the Nebraska State Fair moves to a new home in Grand Island in 2010. I had the privilege of attending the last State Fair in Lincoln with the same people that took me to my first State Fair - Dad & Mom. My memories of that first State Fair back in the 1950’s are hazy. I don’t even remember if seeing Roy Rogers was the first time I went to the State Fair, but I remember wishing that the show would never end. I remember the sights, sounds and smells of the midway and the roaring of the race cars on the big track in front of the grandstands. We always went to the Nebraska Game & Parks display to see the fish. Even back then, I liked walking through the display put on by Law Enforcement. I remember walking through the military history building next to the main entrance of the fairgrounds. We would take in the exhibitions and walk through the barns to see the animals. The smell of the fresh straw in the barns always comes back to me. The food vendors with hamburgers, hot dogs, polish sausages, funnel cakes and snow cones are things I will never forget.

Later on I went to the stock car races held at the fair. When I was going to school at Milford, a bunch of us in automotive went to the State Fair to watch the stock cars on the big track. In 1975, I was in the pits helping Al Humphrey as he raced at the State Fair races. Most recently, I raced my own car on the new track. It was real cool to race down the front chute in front of that huge grandstand and all those people. The ferris wheels were just off of turn 1 and at times I think some of the drivers were watching the ferris wheels instead of the track as they failed to negotiate turn 1. It was a lot of fun meeting other racers from all over the state, some that I’d only read about in some racing publication. The last couple of years, only IMCA sanctioned classes raced so I didn’t get to race. It looks like the races on September 4th will be the last held at the State Fair.


I attended one of my first Nebraska State Fairs to watch a boyhood hero perform. I attended the last Nebraska State Fair in Lincoln with a hero. It was Veteran’s Day at the State Fair on September 4th and there was a special Veteran’s Day program in the open air auditorium. Special guests were WW II veterans who participated in the VFW Honor Flights to Washington, D.C. in the last year. The participants received invitations in the mail and were encouraged to wear the red shirts they got when they went on their respective flights. I am happy and proud to say that Dad went on the next to last Honor Flight.


The program featured music by the Bobby Layne Orchestra and a short talk by Governor Dave Heinemann, who is also a veteran. Veterans of all services and all wars were recognized. It was an inspiring program and one befitting of our heroes. I am proud to have been able to attend.


Many people say moving the Nebraska State Fair to Grand Island is a mistake, and that the State Fair will die with such a move. It is sad that it will no longer be in Lincoln, but with the move there will be new blood and new ideas for the Nebraska State Fair. I hope it is a smashing success.


No comments:

Post a Comment