Monday, March 23, 2020

Censorship????


I can look at Facebook but was put in Facebook jail for 7 days because I shared the election comment!!  Facebook said this was hate speech and goes against "Community Standards."  I can't post, like posts, make comments or use Messenger!!  I don't think Facebook has anything to do with these blog posts, so I hope I don't get censored here, too!

I am sure everybody is getting real tired of only hearing or seeing this coronavirus on every news outlet they turn to.  I know I am.  I am limiting myself to not watching any news.  I spent a good part of today watching Roy Rogers movies on YouTube.

I grew up watching Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Gene Aurty, Audie Murphy, John Wayne and other cowboy stars.  If only my kids and grandkids could have grown up watching them.  Roy Rogers was a mainstay for me.  Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Pat Brady, Roy's horse Trigger and German Shepard Bullet came to the Nebraska State Fair in 1958 and my family got to go!  The old wooden grandstands were packed and I got to see my hero up close!

My parents took us to California on vacation in August 1960,  We left Crete, Nebraska on Sunday evening & Dad & Mom drove all night to get to Dalhart, Texas where we stopped at a café for breakfast.  I remember having pancakes.  Dad's Studebaker didn't have air conditioning so we rode with the windows down as the day warmed up   When we got to Tucumcari, New Mexico, we turned west and followed the Mother Road, Route 66.

I remember that Mom packed a picnic basket and we stopped near Santa Rosa for lunch.  There was a rest area near a lake and I remember there being small lizards running around.  Keep in mind this was before there was an interstate so we were on a two lane highway the entire trip.  We went through the painted desert and the petrified forest.  Today the interstate bypasses these and unless a traveler specifically wants to go there, they will never see these places.  I also remember all of the little souviner shops, cafes and motels along the way.  Most of these died after the interstate was finished.

 After a week of driving we ended up in San Diego where Dad had a cousin and an aunt.  We went to the beach the evening we got there and again at least once during the day.  Dad took my brother and I to the Belmont Park amusement park where we took a ride on a huge wooden roller coaster called the Giant Dipper.  We were there at night and when the roller coaster came out of a dark tunnel, it climbed and climbed.  As it reached the top, I could see the Pacific Ocean on my right and Mission Bay on my left.

I thought sure that somewhere along the way I would catch a glimpse of Roy Rogers but if he was around I never saw him.  Through my 8 year old eyes, California had to be the coolest place on earth.  Unfortunately, I returned about 16 months ago and my view and opinion has changed.  Enough said.

We still have no idea when our dirt track racing season will start.  Since the weather is either too cold or too wet or both, I've been spending a few hours a day trying to get everything organized so when we finally get to go racing we will be ready.  We have a little ceramic heater that I put in the trailer.  I can close the trailer door and plug it in and the heater will keep it pleasant enough that I can work in there.  Slowly getting things organized in there.

 


Really hate all the delays in getting this race season started.  We just hope that when things start to return to normal we will have time to go racing.  I found this picture from Beatrice Speedway last season.


Tyler also has a sport mod that he wants to sell   It's IMCA legal, a 2001 Larkins with a 602 crate motor with about 10 nights on it, has a 1973-1977 front stub under it, underslung rear, complete turn key less rear gear for $4,500 firm.  This is the only picture I have of it.  This would make somebody a good starter car.