Monday, May 31, 2010

High school graduation PLUS 40 YEARS!! ; Memorial Day

I had the opportunity to attend my nephew’s Crete High graduation on May 15th. As we drove up the hill to Fuhrer Fieldhouse located on the Doane College campus, it really struck home that my own high school graduation had taken place at this very location - 39 YEARS and 50 WEEKS AGO!! That day seems so far removed, yet it’s hard to believe that it’s been that long. Our graduating class was either the first of second to graduate from the fieldhouse. As I drove to the south looking for a parking place, I found that a NEW field house is being built! I always thought the old one was big, as indoor track meets were held there. The new one appears to be HUGE!!

The graduating class was decidedly smaller than the Class of 1970. I’m not sure how that happens since Crete’s population has increased by approximately 2,000 since we graduated. Another thing I noticed was that there were not a lot of last names I recognized as the graduates were called to receive their diplomas. However, a lot of the same concerns still exist. In 1970, the U.S. was in the middle of Viet Nam, and today our military is in Iraq and Afghanistan. I noticed there were several of the graduates who will be serving in the military.

From our seats in the bleachers, we had a good view of the crowd on the floor. I was disappointed when the Star Spangled Banner was played, as I saw about half the crowd just standing. I was taught to place my right hand over my heart. Is that no longer the case??

While growing up, my heroes were Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Marshall Matt Dillon, Cheyenne Bodie, John Wayne, Audie Murphy and Randolph Scott. I still watch their old movies every chance I get. They were my role models right behind my parents. If they were to attend an event today where the Star Spangled Banner was played, they would stand straight and place their hand over their heart. That’s just the way it is.

With Memorial Day just a couple of days away, I think back to when Memorial Day was celebrated while I was growing up. There was a ceremony at the city park, then a parade that ended at the cemetery, then another ceremony at the cemetery. That is something that I will always remember. I wonder how many of today’s youth have had the opportunity to attend such an important ceremony and to appreciate what it stands for.

Memorial Day is for remembering those who served our country and lost their lives preserving our way of life. It is also a time to tell our surviving veterans “Thank you for your service!” Attend a Memorial Day service to honor ALL veterans! When the Star Spangled Banner is played, stop what you are doing, remove your hat, and place your hand over your heart. Listen to the words and what they mean and be thankful that you live in the United States of America!


No comments:

Post a Comment