Saturday, October 10, 2009

OFFICER DOWN!!


One of the hazards of being a law enforcement officer is the possibility that you may not be coming home at the end of your shift. The stark reality is that in 2008, 138 Law Enforcement Officers lost their lives in the line of duty. Of these, 39 were from gunfire, 12 were struck by a vehicle, 12 were by vehicular assault, 9 were from motorcycle accident and 35 were by automobile accidents.

So far in 2009, there have been 90 line of duty deaths. These include 34 by gunfire, 4 struck by vehicle, 9 by vehicular assault, 3 by motorcycle accident, and 27 by automobile accidents. Beginning in 2000, the U.S. has lost 299 Law Enforcement Officers to traffic accidents. The only thing that has taken more officers’ lives in that time period is gunfire.

I feel fortunate that in my 25 years as a Police Officer, nobody I have worked with has been involved in a serious accident. I remember, way back in the Training Center, it was drilled into our minds that we are responsible to drive with regards to the safety of the public as well as our own safety. Driving with red lights and siren doesn’t mean we don’t have to watch for civilians.

I worked an accident many years ago involving an ambulance. The ambulance was bringing a heart patient in to the hospital and was struck by a car at a busy intersection. I was a mile or so away when I get the call, which was dispatched as a possible injury accident. Dispatch told me a vehicle was on its side and there was already an ambulance on the scene.

I responded with red lights and siren, but I also was careful. At intersections with stop signs, I slowed down and nearly stopped at least once for other traffic. I wasn’t going to do anybody any good if I didn’t make it to the scene. When I arrived on the scene, I found it was the ambulance that was involved in the accident. The driver ran a red light and was broadsided. The driver told me he was going 55 to 60 MPH with his red lights and siren, and that he did not slow down for the intersection, even he had the red light. It was a warm day and the other driver had his windows up and air conditioning going and never heard or saw the ambulance until they collided. Fortunately, there were only minor injuries and the patient made it to the hospital in a different ambulance.

A story in the Las Vegas Review Journal prompted me to write what I’m writing now. Late Wednesday evening, officers were responding to a call. Witnesses claim that the patrol car was going at a high speed and was not using red lights or siren. A car pulled out from an intersection and the officer swerved to miss the car. The patrol car rolled and the officer who was driving was killed. His partner is listed in serious condition. In reading the first account of the incident, I couldn’t help but notice that the officer who died was thrown from the vehicle.

I started looking through the Officer Down Memorial Page ( www.odmp.org ) to see how many officers are killed each year in automobile accidents. I was amazed as I read through these accounts at how many officers apparently were not wearing their seat belts. Many officers were ejected from their vehicles, which would not have happened if they were wearing their seat belts.

I am as guilty as the next person of not buckling up. We get a “hot” call and pile into the car and take off without buckling up. But, there are many times when we are initially detailed that another officer gets there before we do, and the call ends up being nothing. It’s not worth risking being hurt or worse - BUCKLE UP!!

Another thing I noticed was the amount of accidents that happen in less than ideal conditions. Rain, snow, darkness, etc. Sure, we’ve had some pursuit training, but the practical, if there was one, was under controlled conditions. Slow down a bit!

I had the opportunity to attend the Nebraska Law Officers’ Memorial dedication in Grand Island, Nebraska this spring. It was a fitting ceremony. The names of all fallen Nebraska officers were read off during the ceremony. The names are on the memorial. Unfortunately, another name has been added since the dedication.

I hope to some day be able to attend the Law Enforcement Memorial Week in Washington, D.C. This is during the week of May 15th each year and included activities all week dedicated to the memories of fallen officers as well as helping the survivors heal.

In a few more years I intend to hang up the badge and gun. I hope that I won’t be attending any funerals before then, irregardless of why that particular officer did not come home at the end of their shift.



No comments:

Post a Comment